- ^ Back to Staff Listing
- Bartley, Brendan
- Boyle.Prof. Mark
- Breathnach, Proinnsias
- Charlton, Martin
- Coleman, Dr. Steve
- Conway, Dr. Brian
- Corcoran, Prof. Mary P.
- Coulter, Dr. Colin
- Fagan, Dr. Honor
- Foley, Dr. Ronan
- Fotheringham, Prof. Stewart
- Fraser, Dr. Alistair
- Gilmartin, Dr. Mary
- Gray, Dr. Jane
- Kavanagh, Dr. Adrian
- Keaveney, Dr. Karen
- Kelly, Dr. Sinead
- Kenny, Dr. Michael
- Kerr. Dr. Aphra
- King-O'Riain, Dr. Rebecca Chiyoko
- Larragy, Joe
- McCaffrey, Conor
- McCafferty, Des
- Mathur, Dr. Chandana
- Murray, Dr. Peter
- Murray, Dr. Michael
- Ó Cinnéide, An tOllamh Séamus
- O'Keeffe, Dr. Brendan
- O'Riain, Prof. Sean
- O'Toole, Jacqueline
- Pringle, Dr. Dennis
- Saris, Dr. Jamie
- Share, Dr. Perry
- Slater, Dr. Eamonn
- Taylor, Prof. Larry
- Titley. Dr. Gavin
- van Egeraat, Dr. Chris
- Walsh, Prof. Jim
- Winstanley, Dr. Adam
Prof. Mary P. Corcoran
Prof. Mary Corcoran
New Urban Living: an investigation of civic and social life in the suburbs ( with Jane Gray and Michel Peillon).
||The aim of the project is to examine social life in new urban spaces in Ireland. We have been (a) studying existing and emergent processes of suburbanisation and (b) evaluating the impact of suburbanisation on well-being, collective activity and quality of life. A combination of methodologies have been deployed in four localities. The research findings are currently becoming available and will be of interest to a range of constituencies, both nationally and internationally.
View Journal Articles
View Anthologies and Book Chapters
View Guest Lectures
- Suburban affiliations. Co authored with Jane Gray and Michel Peillon, forthcoming, Syracuse University Press.
- Belongings: shaping identity in modern Ireland. Edited with Perry Share. Dublin Institute of Public Administration. 2008 pp. 273.
- A Sociology of Ireland (with Perry Share and Hilary Tovey) 3rd edition. Dublin: Gill and MacMillan. 2007 pp. 615.
- Irish Journal of Sociology, Special Issue on Communities. Vol. 16. No. 2 2007 Edited with Maurice Devlin.
- Uncertain Ireland. edited with Michel Peillon. Dublin: Institute of Public Administration, 2006 pp.256.
- Political Censorship and the democratic state: the Irish broadcasting ban edited with Mark O’Brien, Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2005.
- Place and non-place. The reconfiguration of Ireland edited with Michel Peillon, Dublin: Institute of Public Administration, 2004.
- Ireland Unbound: A Turn of the Century Chronicle edited with Michel Peillon, Dublin: Institute of Public Administration, 2002 pp. 277
- Irish Illegals: Transients Between Two Societies. (Westport, Connecticut and London: Greenwood Press, 1993). pp. 205
- Regenerating neighbourhoods in partnership- learning from emergent practices. Copenhagen, Denmark: ENTRUST, 2004. pp. 61 (co-authorship)
- Urban regeneration, partnership and the European City: a community participation perspective. Working Paper ENTRUST European Project, December 2003.
- Urban regeneration in the city of Dublin: partnership structures and integrated planning. ENTRUST European project, September 2003, www.entrust.soc.new.net.
- ‘Microsegregation in a transitional neighbourhood: A Dublin case study ‘(with Mary C. Benson) in BETWIXT Report Stage C, Households in Precarity: case histories from deprived neighbourhoods in six European countries, edited by Daniel Bertaux, Paris: Centre d’Etudes des Mouvements Sociaux, 2001 pp. V.1-34
- ‘Kilmainham C, Dublin ’ (with Tony Fahey and Mary C. Benson) in BETWIXT Report Stage B, Social Profile of Neighbourhoods in seven European Cities, edited by Tony Fahey, Dublin: Economic and Social Research Institute, 2000 pp. 3. 1-13
- ‘The experience of those claiming One-Parent Family Payment: A Qualitative Study’ (with Helen Russell), in Review of the One Parent Family Payment, Dublin: Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs, 2000 Appendix X pp. 1-39
- Making Fatima A Better Place to Live. Dublin: Fatima Groups United, 1998 pp. 50
- “Making space for sociability: how children animate the public realm in suburbia” in Nature and Culture, special issue, forthcoming.
- ‘Valuing the local(e) in suburbia’ in Building Materials, journal of the Architectural Association of Ireland, forthcoming.
- ‘Editors Introduction’ Special Issue on Communities, Irish Journal of Sociology, Vol. 16. No. 2. 2007 pps. 5-10.
- ‘Consumption and identity’ Review essay in Field Day Review, Vol. 3, South Bend, IN: Notre Dame University Press, 2007 pp.239-245.
- ‘Urban partnership and community development: a European perspective’ in Economic and Social Review, Special issue on governance, Vol., 37, No. 3, Winter 2006 pp.399-422.
- “Portrait of the “absent” father: the impact of non-residency on developing and maintaining a fathering role” in Irish Journal of Sociology, Special Issue on Masculinities, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2005 pp. 134-153.
- ‘Social support networks in impoverished European neighbourhoods: case studies from Italy and Ireland’ (with Manuela Olgenora and Antonella Meo) in European Societies, 7(1) 2005: 53-79.
- ‘The Spectacle of the Spire- re-inventing Dublin’s O’Connell Street’ in Sociologie et Societes, Special Issue on “Le Spectacle Des Villes”, Vol. XXXVII, No. 1, Printempos 2005 pp. 69-86.
- The political preferences and value orientations of Irish journalists’ in Irish Journal of Sociology, Special Issue on the Media, Vol.13, No, 2, 2004. pp 23-42.
- ‘Global cosmopolities: issues of self-identity and collective identity among the transnational Irish elite’ in Etudes Irlandaises, Special issue on Ireland and America in the Twentieth Century, Vol. 28, No. 2, Fall 2003. pp. 135-150.
Anthologies and Book Chapters
- “Making sense of place in the Irish suburbs” With Jane Gray and Michel Peillon in Gemma Tipton (ed) Des/IRE: Designing houses for contemporary Ireland Cork: Gandon Press, 2008 pp. 68-75.
- “Modes of Belonging” with Perry Share. Introduction to Belongings: shaping identity in modern Ireland. Dublin: Institutute of Public Administration. 2008 pp. 1-16.
- “Communities of limited liability” in Belongings: shaping identity in modern Ireland. Op. cit. pp. 259-273.
- ‘Ties that Bind? The social fabric of daily life in the new suburbs’ (with Jane Gray and Michel Peillon) in T. Fahey, H. Russell and C. Whelan (eds) Quality of Life in Ireland: social impact of economic boom. Social Indicators Research Series, Vol. 32. Springer Publications, 2008.
- ‘Ties that Bind? The social fabric of daily life in the new suburbs’ (with Jane Gray and Michel Peillon) in T. Fahey, H. Russell and C. Whelan (eds) The Best of Times? Dublin: Institute of Public Administration, 2007 pp. 175-197.
- ‘Local responses to a new issue: integrating immigrants in Spain’ pp. 239-284 in From Immigration to Integration: Local solutions to a global challenge. Paris: OECD, Local Economic and Employment Development (LEED) programme, 2006.
- ‘Re-imagining the built environment: place, community and neighbourhood in the city of Dublin’ pp. 169-183 in Andrew H. Wyndham (ed) Re-imagining Ireland, Charlottesville, VA: University of Virginia Press, 2006.
- ‘Housing in Ireland’ (with Patrick Duffy and Karen Keaveney) in B. Bartley and R. Kitchin (eds) Understanding Contemporary Ireland. London: Pluto Press, 2006.
- ‘Ethno-city’ in M.P. Corcoran and M. Peillon (eds) Uncertain Ireland. Institute of Public Administration, 2006 pp. 181-192.
- ‘An Age of Uncertainty’ in M.P. Corcoran and M.Peillon (eds) Uncertain Ireland. Dublin: Institute of Public Administration, 2006. pp. 1-12.
- ‘The regeneration of Fatima Mansions: lessons from Dublin’ pp. 221-140 in Peter Herrle and Uwe-Jens Walther (eds) Socially Inclusive Cities: emerging concepts and practices. Munster, Germany: LIT Verlag, 2005. pp.221-240.
- ‘A deceived audience or a discerning audience? Media, censorship and the threat posed to the public sphere’ in M.P. Corcoran and Mark O’Brien (eds) Political censorship and the democratic state: the Irish broadcasting ban, Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2005 pp. 123-135.
- ‘Introduction’ (with Mark O’Brien) in M.P. Corcoran and M. O’Brien. (eds) Political Censorship and the Democratic State, op.cit. pp. 15-19.
- Place remaking in Dublin’ in M. Peillon and M.P. Corcoran (eds) Place and non-place. Dublin: Institute of Public Administration, 2004, pp. 142-156.
- ‘Introduction: the reconfiguration of Ireland' (with Michel Peillon) in M.Peillon and M.P. Corcoran (eds) Place and non place, op. cit. pp. 1-12.
- ‘Local sentiment and sense of place in a new suburban community’ (with M. Peillon and J. Gray) in M.Breen (ed) Technology and Transcendence. Columba Presss, 2003 pp. 146-159.
- ‘The process of migration and the reinvention of self: the experience of returning Irish emigrants’ in Kevin Kenny (ed) New Directions in Irish American History. Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin Press, 2003 pp. 302-318
- “Problems and progress in social housing estates: a ten-year review study” presented at the Irish Social Science Platfrom (ISSP) inaugural meeting, June 23rd, 2008 Institute of Technology, Sligo.
- “Place attachment in a theme park: excavating the Irish urban landscape” (with E.Slater) paper read at the 33rd Annual Conference of the Sociological Association of Ireland, Sligo May 5-7th, 2006.
- ‘The Integration of immigrants into the Spanish Labour Market’ paper presented at “From Immigration to Integration: Lessons from local responses” conference, Sponsored by the Federal Reserve Bank, New York in conjunction with the OECD, December 15th, 2005.
- (with Jane Gray and Michel Peillon) ‘Civic and Social Life in the Suburbs’ paper presented at the “Volunteering and Philanthropy-Research from Ireland, North and South” conference, sponsored by the Royal Irish Academy Third Sector Programme, NICVA, Belfast November 24th, 2005.
- “Finding your place: forging an identity and sense of belonging in suburban communities” paper presented at the International symposium on Civic and Social Life in the Suburbs, NUI Maynooth, April 8th, 2005.
- “Urban partnership and community development: a European perspective” paper presented at Social partnership- a new kind of governance? Conference, NUI Maynooth, 14-15 September, 2004
- “Policy recommendations on public-private collaboration in integrated urban regeneration” presented at Involving the private sector in regeneration partnerships, Euroconference, Hamburg, June 7-8, 2004
- “Social life in the new suburbs: preliminary findings from a comparative study” (with Jane Gray and Michel Peillon) presented at the Sociological Association of Ireland, 31st Annual Conference April 23-25, 2004
- “Local sentiment and sense of place in a new suburban community” (with Michel Peillon and Jane Gray) Paper presented at the European Congress of Rural Sociologists, Institute of Technology, Sligo August 24th, 2003 Paper at ESRC, August 24, 2003
- ‘The Celtic Tiger: an overview’ Keynote panel, Re-Imagining Ireland: Irish Identity in a Global context, Charlottesville, Virginia, May 7, 2003
- ‘Global Cosmopolites: self identity and collective identity among the Irish transnational elite paper presented in Memory, Identity and Diaspora panel, Re-Imagining Ireland: Irish Identity in a Global context, Charlottesville, Virginia, May 9, 2003
- ‘Towards a Sociology of the Irish Suburbs’ paper read at the University College Cork, Sociology Seminar Series, January 9th, 2003.
Invited Guest Lectures (since 2003)
- ‘Webs of group affiliations: people, place and community in the Irish suburbs’ Key note paper to the Shrinking Cities, Sprawling Suburbs, Changing Country Sides conference, European Network on Housing Research, July 8th, 2008 UCD.
- ‘Civic and Social life in the new suburbs’ Irish Countrywomen’s Association, Marlay Chapter, Rathfarnham. June 12th, 2008.
- Invited respondent, “Influencing spatial practice” masterclass. Dublin Design Diversity, MSc Urban Design panel discussions on urban design, Newman House, UCD April 1st, 2008.
- “Making friends and losing spaces: a child’s view of suburbia” paper presented at Contested Landscapes: sustainable living and the reclamation of public space in (Sub-) urban environments. 4th SSRC International Conference Workshop, NUI Galway, March 28th, 2008.
- “Civic and Social life in the new suburbs: methodological approach and substantive findings” presentation to Master Class series, B.A. Applied Social Care students, Institute of Technology, March 3, 2008.
- “Redrawing the boundaries of Irish citizenship: the implications of the 2004 Referendum in Ireland” paper presented to the Notre Dame Law School Irish Society, University of Notre Dame, November 29, 2007.
- “Postcards from the edge: civic and social life in Ireland’s new suburbs”, paper presented at Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies seminar series, University of Notre Dame, November 16, 2007.
- “From dozy villages to dormitory towns: the impact of social change on everyday life in Ireland” paper presented to the Department of Sociology, St. Mary’s College, University of Notre Dame, November 13, 2007.
- “Making sense of place in the Irish suburb” paper presented at Des/ire: Designing houses for contemporary Ireland conference, National Sculpture Factory, Metropole Hotel, Cork 24th May, 2007.
- ‘Civic and Social Life in the new suburbs” paper presented to the Wicklow County Development Board seminar on “Missing in the suburbs: the challenges facing service deliverers reaching out to new communities” Glenview Hotel, Wicklow, April 4th, 2007.
- “The changing suburban landscape in Ireland” Address to the Wicklow Chamber of Commerce annual dinner, Arklow Bay Hotel, October 20th, 2006.
- “Civic and social life in the Suburbs” paper presented at Salon on Suburban Culture, ERASMUSpc, Dublin City Centre, October 14th, 2006.
- ‘Edge city? The Abbey Talks- invited lecture in the national theatre’s programme of talks in response to the work on stage, The Peacock Theatre, May 17th, 2006.
- “Art, nature and understandings of place” paper presented at the Sculpture in Woodland residential seminar on the relationship between public art and public space. Sponsored by Coillte, Devils’ Glen, Wicklow, Sept 12th- 14th, 2006.
- ‘The role of the village in creating a ‘local structure of feeling’: evidence from the suburban periphery’ paper presented at Who has designs on our villages? The Future of Ireland’s Villages- economic, environmental heritage and social implications conference, The Heritage Council, Durrow Co. Laois, June 28th, 2005.
- “Community and social change: the view from the suburbs” presented at panel on “Throwing down the gauntlet: challenges for community well being” The Dublin City Development Board/Dublin City Council, Communities First Summit, Dublin May 31-June 1, 2005.
- ‘Public Private partnerships in urban regeneration’ paper presented to the NorDubCo -The North Dublin Development Coalition seminar series, Dublin City University, November 4th, 2004
- ‘From dystopia to utopia: the challenge of urban regeneration in deprived European neighbourhoods’ paper presented to the Department of Sociology, University of
Limerick co-sponsored by the Sociological Association of Ireland, October 19th, 2004.
- ‘From dystopia to utopia: the challenge of urban regeneration in deprived European neighbourhoods’ paper presented to the Department of Sociology seminar series , University College Dublin, October 20th, 2004
- ‘Community Context and social change in Ireland: the view from suburbia’ (with Jane Gray and Michel Peillon) Keynote paper presented Art, Community and Context- the terms of engagement, at Liberty Hall, Dublin April 29th, 2004. Jointly organised by engage Scotland, the City Arts Centre and IMMA.
- “Partnership, urban regeneration and the European city” paper presented to CRITICAL- City Regions as Intelligent Territories: Inclusion, Competitiveness and Learning-, EU 5th framework research group, Dublin, December 16, 2003
- “Partnership, urban regeneration and the European city”
Paper to Department of Sociology seminar series, TCD, November 28, 2003
- “Neighbourhood, community and sense of place: a view from the margins” Invited keynote speaker, Irish Council for Social Housing, Biennial National Conference September 30, 2003.
last updated: Friday, 13-Nov-2009 12:33:42 GMT